The survey was based on input from officials at more than 1,100 municipalities across the country. Other findings include:
- 70% of municipalities have not received funding through the CARES Act.
- 13% of municipalities are making cuts to inspection, planning and permitting, which could delay the reopening of businesses.
- 32% of cities will need to furlough or lay off more employees.
- 41% of cities have or will institute a hiring freeze.
- 70% of cities surveyed said the most expensive aspect of the pandemic has been purchasing PPE.